Do you want to start a blog and make money like Linda Ikeji and other top bloggers? If yes, then you have finally come to the right place. This is beginners’ guide on how to create a blog and make money. If you follow the guidelines I will give you on this page, you will be able to create a professional blog within 20 minutes.
Before I proceed, I know you would be interested in knowing who I am? Well, my name is Humphery, I’m a seasoned internet entrepreneur and a blogger. I started my first blog in 2011 for fun, but I later abandoned it after I got admission into a university. When I graduated in 2015 as a Statistician, I went back to blogging and other internet businesses. To the glory of God’, I’ve made millions of Naira with my blogs and other online platforms.
A lot of people that follow me on social media do not know that I’m a multi-millionaire, they know I’m a blogger but they don’t know I make millions from it. Sometimes people in my community will ridicule me saying that I don’t come out from my room. They say all manner of things against me but they don’t know my room is my office. Yes, being a blogger will affect your social life in some ways. You will spend most of your times on your computer. You would have no time to move around unless you don’t want to make money.
I make money blogging, and my reason for writing this post is to share with you how to create a blog and make money. This free guide is to help you start your own blog like a professional.
I have three (3) blogs that generate massive income for me. This blog is one of my blogs and I make money from it. I know you would want to know how; no need to rush, you will discover it, just read on.
I’ve helped over 50 persons to create their blogs, and today most of them are doing well, smiling to their Bank.
As the number of people that need my help to make online increases, honestly I can’t personally help each of them. I decided to create this blog (nairafinder.com) to solve their problems. All they need is to visit www.nairafinder.com, then anyone that need additional help will have to subscribe for my premium support.
I know very well that creating a blog can appear to be difficult, that’s why I make everything simple for anyone to understand.
However, I’m not ashamed to admit that I failed miserably, back then in 2011 when I started my first blog. I knew nothing about blogging at that time, and my whole experience was woefully. Nobody taught me how to create a blog, I learnt it ‘the hard way’. But I wouldn’t even wish my enemy to learn the way I did. Instead of suffering yourself, you can benefit from my own experience.
I’ve made over $10,000 per month from my blogs. But that is even too small to compare what high profile blogger like Linda Ikeji makes monthly from her blog at lindaikejisblog.com
But at least making such amount in a month makes me to consider myself as someone you can learn from.
In this post, I shall focuse on how to create a blog in 20 minutes because I’ve already treated how to make money blogging in a separate post. You can come back to read it, so let’s proceed.
How to make money blogging
To start making money with your blog Click Here
Shall we begin?
What is a blog?
Before you create a blog, it is important to know what a blog is. In a term, a blog is a type of website where information (article, pictures, music etc) are published for people to see. A blogger is someone who publishes blog contents in order to connect, interact, inform or entertain his or her blog users.
Types of blogs you can create
There are many types of blogs, but I will give you 10.
1. Personal blog: This is a kind of blog, where blogger writes about things of personal interests, like hobbies, believes, experiences, stories, etc.
2. Affiliate service blog: This is when a blogger writes about a product or review products for people to buy through his or her affiliate link.
3. Niche blog: This is a type of blog where bloggers write about specific topic like; health, news, business, sports, tech, food, pet, travel etc. Example, nairafinder.com, lindaikejisblog, legit.ng, naijaloaded.com, and so on.
4. Podcast blog: This is a blog with embedded content like; audio and video from where the content is originally content was published. Example; a blog that embed YouTube videos.
5. Repair Service blog: When content of a blog is about repairs or maintenance services that are offered by a blogger.
6. Personal business blog: This blog is usually used to build credibility for a blogger as a speaker, mentor, coach, teacher or expert in a particular niche.
7. Corporate blog: This is a type of blog used to increase traffic for your business in order to gain customers and make more sales.
8. Case study blog: This also known as experimental or test blog. When you write about something you’ve tested for people to see how it works.
9. Guest blog: The content of this blog are mostly written by guests bloggers.
10. Personal service blog: This type of blog focus on topics around the services that are offered such as saloon, baby care, junk removal, etc.
Why you should create a blog
1. Blogging is a great way to express yourself, share information and thoughts with others.
2. Blogging will sharpen your writing skills and makes you become a better person in life.
3. You can make tons of money blogging (this is the best reason for me)
4. Blogging helps you to build your internet presence and connect and interact with people around the world.
5. Blogging gives you the opportunity to teach people and learn from them as well.
In fact, if you are thinking about creating a blog, the time is now. Let’s move on!
Best guide to create a blog
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Decide blog type i.e niche blog
2. Pick a domain name i.e nairafinder.com
3. Check if the domain name is available
4. Choose a blogging platform
5. Host your blog
5. Design your blog out look
6. Write your first blog post
7. Promote your blog
8. Make money blogging
Now, let me give you details for each step.
Step 1: Decide blog type
I’ve previously mentioned about 10 types of blog you can start. You can pick one from the list.
Step 2. Pick a domain name
After deciding the type of blog to go for, the next is to choose a domain name. Make sure your domain name correlate with the topic of your blog. Also, don’t use domain name that is too long or something that is hard to pronounce or remember. Example of a domain name; nairaland.com, bellanaija.com. nyscinfo.com, and so on. You can also, use .net, .org as your domain extension.
Step 3: Check if the domain name is available domain name
You cannot use a domain name that is already in used. For example; facebook.com, nairaland.com, nyscinfo.com and many more have already been taken. You need a unique domain name. To check if a domain name is available, go to whois.com and type the domain name followed by the domain extension i.e yourdomainname.com or .net or .org
Step 4: Choose your blogging platform
There are many platforms to start your blog. But the most popular are; Blogger, WordPress, and Tumblr. Choosing a blogging platform is where to make a delicate decision; whether to go for free hosted platform or paid (self-host) platform. Let’s take a look at the three blogging platforms.
Blogger – This is a free blogging platform. It is hosted by Google. You can create a blog for free at www.blogger.com.
WordPress – This is a paid (self-hosted) blogging platform. Although there is a free version, but free version of WordPress has so many limitations.
Tumblr – This blogging platform is half-social network and half-blog. It is very simple to use.
Step 5: Host your blog
Hosting is to launch your your blog on web space so that anybody can connect it from anywhere in the world. Example; this blog, nairafinder is hosted 24/7 that is why you reading from it. So, any time you type nairafinder.com on your browser, it brings you here. There are many hosting companies out there such as; Godaddy, Bluehost, Hostgator, etc.
Step6: Design your blog out look
After hosting your blog, the next is to design your blog appearance because you might not like the default settings or you want your blog to look more professional. The best way to design a blog is to choose a new theme.
Make sure your blog theme reflects blog topic. There is no point having a football theme if your blog is about health.
Step 7: Write a blog post
Write and publish your blog posts to see how it looks. You can publish many posts.
Step 8. Promote your blog
Promoting your blog is very important. It will make you get more visitors in your blog. One way to promote your blog is to share blog links on social media. Sharing blog links on social media is the fastest way to bring people to your blog.
Step 9: Make money blogging
After publishing a lot of posts on your blog, and you start getting traffic (people); next thing is to monetize your blog so you can make money from it.
Best guide to create a blog on Blogger.com platform
I once stated that Blogger is a free blogging platform. In this section, I will teach you how to create a blog on Blogger.com.
If you’re a newbie, I advise you to start your first blog on Blogger, hosted for free by Google. After flexing your blogging muscle, you can move your blog from Blogger to a self-host WordPress.
The richest blogger in Nigeria, Linda Ikeji started blogging in 2010 on a free Blogger platform. In 2017, she moved her blog to a self-hosted WordPress platform. The point is, where you started from, whether free or paid doesn’t really matter; what matters is the quality of content on your blog.
Before I show you how to create a blog on Blogger platform, let me show you some limitation of Blogger.
The limitations of Blogger platform
1. You’ll be using ‘blogspot‘ in your domain name i.e yourdomain.blogspot.com but you can register a custom domain name and point it to your blog URL at about $10, so that “.blogspot” will disappear from your domain name i.e yourdomain.com
2. You don’t own your blog since Google has the right to delete it at any time with or without prior notice.
3. There is no plugins or ad-ons to help you design your blog.
Step by step procedures to create a blog on Blogger.
To create a blog on Blogger platform, follow thr steps below;
1. Go to blogger.com
2. Click the “CREATE YOUR BLOG” button, as show below;
Once you click on the orange button, it will take you to a page to sign in with your Google account (gmail address and password).
3. Sign in to continue to Blogger by entering your gmail address.
4. Click “Next” button, to enter your email password. If you don’t have a Google account, click the “Create account” link instead.
After signing, it will take you to “Welcome to Blogger” window.
5. Enter your blog name in the “Display name” box
6. Click “Continue to Blogger” orange button. This will take you to a create blog page.
7. Click the orange “CREATE NEW BLOG” button, as shown below;
8. Enter your blog title and a domain address i.e yourdomain.blogspot.com. As you type your domain, the system will tell you whether the domain name is available or not. If the domain name is not available, try another name untill you get available domain.
9. Select a theme for your blog page. For now, select ‘Simple theme’.
10. Click the “Create blog!” button. This is an orange button on the bottom-right of the pop-up page.
How to create blog posts on Blogger
Now, that you have created your blog, lets see how you can create your first blog post
1. Click on “New post” orange button at the upper-left in your admin dashboard.
It will open Blogger’s text editor, and allow you to write your new post.
2. Enter post title into the “Post” field. Then come down to the big box to write your blog post.
If you want to type your post in HTML, click the HTML button on the top-left.
Hope this post helped you? Later I will add best guide to create a self-hosted WordPress such as nairafinder.com.